I’ve been thinking about new years resolutions and this prompted me to look back on the ‘knitting resolutions’ I made at the start of this year….. how ambitious I was!… I know most people fail at new years resolutions, perhaps I set too high expectations for myself?! Last years resolutions are as follows:
1. Stash bust – I have done this to a limited extent. I have knitted from my stash and I’ve sold on and traded things that I was never going to use – I’ve even got my mum knitting a top for me that I was never going to get around to doing! However, I have ‘added’ to the stash to, so technically this resolution is a FAIL.
2. Try more felting – I purchased a load of New Lanark aran and bought a pattern for a felted bag with the intention of making it…. and its still sitting around in my stash. I’ve incurred another FAIL.
3. Get out my fear of colour knitting and try intarsia – No progress made here what so ever. I’ve never attempted intarsia or fairisle and its looking unlikely. To be honest, I’ve not actually seen any colour knitting projects that I would want to knit yet. Maybe I will change my mind when I have more time on my hands (like that’s going to happen) but for now that’s a – FAIL.
4. Try to join a knitting group – well, as with most resoloutions I started well but fizzled out. I did go to the Birmingham Stitch and Bitch a few times, but to be honest its a bit too far away and since I started my new job I no longer have free time at the weekends. Guess what? its another – FAIL.
5. Learn how to knit two socks at a time on two circulars – I bought the book, I looked at the book, I chose a pattern and I purchased the yarn…. and its all sitting un-knit at the bottom of my stash box. FAIL.
So, what have we learnt? Claire cannot keep her new years resoloutions! I think I was too ambitious, in an ideal world where I don’t have to work and spend all day knitting I would have achieved all this – but life gets in the way don’t you find?
Since I made these I joined Ravelry, which is a blessing and a curse. On the upside you can research patterns, organise your stash and your queue and gain inspiration from others. On the downside there is just too much choice and temptation and you end up with a huge queue of things you intend to make (fat chance!)
So this year I’m not going to make any resolutions, I do intend to knit from my stash and I would like to complete the projects I’ve talked about, but no resolutions! I suppose I should step out of my comfort zone and try something new, like cables or the ‘two at a time’ sock method, but I’m not going to commit myself!